- I gave my family 5 short months to plan the wedding. We got engaged March 14th & married August 12th of the same year.
- I did not see the venue until the rehearsal the night before the wedding. Haha. Most people think this is crazy, but Derek & my mom picked it out. I was too overwhelmed with school that I just didn’t want to make any decisions. I asked my mom & Derek to go check it out, they both loved it, so I said “works for me”.
- Our first dance was to “Promise To Love Her” by Blane Howard.
- We were suppose to get married outside until the rehearsal & I changed my mind & decided to have it inside. The venue had just built a new building that wasn’t even completely finished, but last minute I decided that is where I wanted the ceremony.
- Pretty much the only decision I made for my entire wedding was that I wanted the color purple.
- We went on our honeymoon before the wedding. Ha. Derek got offered a new job & they asked him to start the Monday after our wedding. It was an amazing opportunity & one of the best things that has ever happened to us, so we changed plans & went on our trip the week before the wedding. I know this is super nontraditional, but honestly it was amazing. It was great to have a break from the wedding planning & stress & to just enjoy ourselves before the big day.
- Derek cried like a baby through our whole ceremony, & it was the sweetest thing I’ve ever seen.
- I actually did not want a wedding. I wanted to go somewhere like Atlantis & elope, but Derek was the one who really wanted a wedding.
- I second guessed my dress. As you can see, I’m not good with decision making. When I went dress shopping for the first time I told everyone that I was buying a dress that day because I wasn’t trying on dresses again, & that I wouldn’t get a dress that needed alterations. So, I found a dress I liked & it fit perfect so we brought it home. Later on I started stressing about it & ended up secretly (with my best friend) going & trying on other dresses only to decide that I actually liked the one I already had. Haha. I think my sister and best friend both contemplated murder. Looking back, I’m so glad I didn’t change my dress because I really did love it.
- I had 8 bridesmaids & one person did all of their hair & make up, PLUS my hair & makeup. (Shout out Lindsey Wilkinson).
- I let my bridesmaids pick out their own dresses. I gave everyone a color & told them to choose their own dress styles. Not everyone is going to look good in the same dress. That is just life. Not everyone has the same body time. I wanted my girls to like their dresses & actually want to wear them so I left it completely up to them. (Not to mention the whole “I couldn’t make decisions” thing). It honestly turned out amazing. So many people told me how they loved how my maids dresses were all mix-match. I truly couldn’t be more happy with how it turned out.
- We had cake pops! I knew there was going to be a lot of kids at our wedding & I wanted something easy & inexpensive, so we went with cake pops. It turned out great. Derek & I had a small cake for ourselves to do the traditional stuff with.
- It rained most of the morning before the ceremony, but mostly sprinkles. I’ve always heard that was good luck though..so we’ll see! Haha.
- My dad walked me down the aisle in a Hawaiian shirt. Haha. This is actually my favorite part. Anyone who knows my dad knows he loves his Hawaiian shirts. He thinks he is Jimmy Buffett. Ha! So, I kept telling my dad he was going to have to wear a suit and tie, but then surprised him with a Hawaiian shirt that matched the colors. I couldn’t picture my dad walking me down the aisle any other way.
- Derek & I wrote our own vows. This was something I always wanted to do because I think its much more special than just repeating after someone else. We know have them framed in our bedroom. (Insert heart emoji).
I hope you enjoyed our 15 fun & random facts about our wedding day. Haha. We definitely didn’t have some extravagantly, extremely planned wedding & I wouldn’t have it any other way. I loved our wedding. We had amazing friends & family who did so much for us. We did not have to pay or plan a single thing. We basically just showed up. Haha! We’re very very blessed with my family & our friends. I’ll never forget what people did for us on our wedding. It meant the world to us.
If there is one piece of advice I could give it would be this:
Don’t worry about the wedding. You’re getting married. Your marriage lasts a lifetime and your wedding lasts one day.